The Armstrong Downwind Performance foil range is bred for the raw energy of deepwater offshore swell. Amplify your downwind experience.
The first foils in our new Armstrong Performance Series, the Downwind Performance range was specifically developed to race in the SUP downwind division across Hawaii’s interisland channels. Already a proven Molokai2Oahu World Championship podium-finisher under the feet of team rider Oskar Johansson, the DW Performance range is tailored for expert level SUP downwind aficionados seeking next level freedom in open water.
Offered in 3 sizes from 685 -930cm2.
Access ultimate speed
The product of cutting edge hydrodynamics and foil technology.
- Project development began with collecting waveform and real world riding data from Hawaii’s interisland channels to set specific design parameters.
- Leading fluid dynamics (CFD) resources helped optimize a foil shape that had extreme top end glide with accessible low end flight speeds for race starts in milder conditions.
- The result is remarkably stable at high velocities.
“These foils have a speed range like nothing else I have ridden. They have a low enough stall speed for getting on foil, but then have an incredibly high top end that allows you to ride the fast open ocean swells. The foils also have a very neutral front and back foot pressure that doesn’t change with different speeds, giving a comfortable feel at highspeeds.”-Oskar Johansson, Armstrong team rider and 2023 Molokai2Oahu 2nd place finisher.
-Aspect ratio (AR) 13.0-13.55
- Made from Toray intermediate and high modulus carbon fibre
Stable at speed
- A thin section and subtle anhedral to dihedral shape becomes more pitch and roll stable at higher speeds without feeling locked in.
Evolutive section profile
- The foil section is slightly different at each station across the foil span for maximum efficiency.
The A+ System
Foil assembly system
The A+ System is our proprietary foil assembly design that joins the mast, fuselage, front foil and stabiliser together for a solid and smooth feeling on the water.
- Hexagonal carbon fibre fuselage with a titanium rod core has progressive flex qualities that balance stiffness with a uniquely smooth feel underfoot.
- Minimises flex from the extreme torsional forces produced by high aspect foils.
- Premium 316 steel and titanium hardware eliminates corrosion and provides a naturally snug fit, no tef gel required.
- Polycarbonate Pro shims allow for half degree incremental changes to stabiliser pitch for incredibly easy tuning of the foil’s flight characteristics. 5621
On the cutting edge
Our Performance Series represents the pinnacle of Armstrong foiling equipment. Created to push boundaries in design process and material selection, these products invite advanced riders on a truly next-level riding experience.
- Area: 930cm2
- Span: 1100mm
- Aspect Ratio: 13
- Area: 755cm2
- Span: 1000mm
- Aspect Ratio: 13
- Area: 685cm2
- Span: 960mm
- Aspect Ratio: 13.55